Exploring around the natural wonders of Barbados
Speightstown was the first major port and commercial centre of Barbados. the second largest town in the island. Formerly known as “Little Bristol”, because of the heavy sugar traffic with that English town. It was eventually renamed after William Speight, a member of Governor Hawley’s Parliament in 1639, on whose land it was built. Falling into disrepair and neglected over the years it has now been revived and is the home of a brand new luxury marina development - Port St. Charles - and a number of exciting initiatives. There are excellent hotels and restaurants in the area as well as an art gallery, and some fine examples of original Barbados architecture. This little village was the port that Sir George Ayscue could not take, when dispatched by Cromwell to quell the insurrection in Barbados in 1649. The Barbadians were loyal to Charles 1, and would not accept Cromwell as their protector. For 6 months Ayscue was unable to land in Barbados, and concentrated attacks on Speightstown were repelled by the small forts along the shore. The tiny Island was landed only with the help of a defector who led Ayscue and his men to land at Oistins Town where they met with representatives of the island and signed what has become known as the "Charter of Barbados". Signed in 1652, the agreement gave Barbados rights and privileges unheard of in any other Island. In particular it guaranteed that Barbados could not be taxed without the consent of a Barbados General Assembly
If you love the roar of the ocean, the
waves pounding against rugged cliff faces, then head for the east coast of Barbados,
home of the most energetic of pursuits, surfing and wind surfing
Surfing at Bathsheba
The Soup Bowl at Bathsheba gets its name from the foamy surf created by the action of the ocean and is the site of many local and international surfing championships. This is a great place to surf, with steady big rollers coasting in across the Atlantic ocean
Saint George: Destroyed by a hurricane in 1780, a new
church was built four years later and this building still survives, making it the oldest ecclesiastical building on the island.
|The Anglican Churches and Religion in Barbados
The Anglican church was the first official
religion in Barbados.
Despite this attitude, with the abolition of slavery in 1838 many ex-slaves were drawn to the Anglican church which soon grew more popular than the other early Christian churches, the Methodist, Moravian and the Quakers.
Bishop William Hart Coleridge, the first Anglican Bishop, did much to extend the church's influence by building ten chapels in the rural areas for those who had difficulty reaching the parish churches. His work, which began in 1825 and lasted to 1842, also led to the development of 11 chapel schools and the St. Mary's Church in Bridgetown.
Below are the scheduled services at some Anglican churches in Barbados. You may also ask at your hotel about services at nearby churches.
|Christ Church||Church Road, Christ Church||Sun||6:00am, 7:45am, 9:15am|
|All Saints||Pleasant Hall, St.Peter||Sun||8:00am|
|St.Andrew's||The Rectory, St.Andrew||Sun||8:00am|
|St.Cyprian's||George Street, St.Michael||Sun||8:00am|
|St.David's||Christ Church||Sun||6:15am, 7:30am|
|St.James Paris||Holetown, St.James||Sun||7:30am, 9:00am|
|St.John's Parish||St.John||Sun||7:00am, 9:00am|
|St.Lawrence||St.Lawrence Gap, Christ Church||Sun||7:30am, 9:30am, 6:30pm|
|St.Leonards, St.Michael||Sun||7:30am, 9:30am, 6:30pm|
|St.Mary's||Bridetown,St.Michael||Sun||7:00am, 8:30am, 6:00pm|
|St.Matthias||Hastings, Christ Church||Wed||7:00am, 8:30am
|Bridgetown, St.Michael||Sun||6:30am, 7:45am, 9:00am, 11:00am, 6:00pm|
|St.Paul's||Bay Street, St.Michael||Sun||8:30am|
|St.Stephen's||Black Rock, St.Michael||Sun||7:00am, 8:30am ,6:30pm|
Religious Denominations in Barbados
Over 100 religious groups currently operate in
Barbados and some of them are listed below
Methodist Moravian Mormon Muslim Pentecostal Quaker Rastafarian Roman Catholic
Salvation Army Seventh Day Adventist Spiritual Baptists
Sam Lord's Castle
Located in the parish of St. Philip, Sam Lord's Castle is a beautiful Georgian mansion built in 1820 by the notorious buccaneer Samuel Hall Lord.
Legend has it that Sam Lord acquired his wealth by plundering ships, which he lured onto the reefs off the coast, by hanging lanterns in the coconut trees. Captains mistook these lights for Bridgetown and wrecked their ships on the reefs.
The Castle contains priceless antiques of furniture, paintings, silver and china - some the original possessions of Sam Lord himself.
Oistins, in the parish of Christ Church, is a
major fishing community in Barbados with a modern fishing market.
from Cromwell's England. As a result of this confrontation, the Articles of Agreement were drawn up to form Barbados' own parliament - the third oldest parliament in the entire Commonwealth.
Oistins is also one of the hottest evening musical attractions
Each Friday and Saturday night hundreds of locals and visitors flock to Oistins for the Fish-Fry, an opportunity to enjoy the very best local food - fried and grilled fish, fish cakes, sweet potato, macaroni pie, and coleslaw and so much more.
There are numerous vendors to choose from and seating is readily available. The sounds of island music fill the air, making for a memorable evening out in a very casual setting!
Welchman Hall Gully
Located in the parish of St. Thomas, this is a three-quarter mile (1.2km) long "gully" (really a garden) and home to a number of tropical plants trees, including nutmeg, bamboo, clove and palms. It is believed that the gully got it's name from the original owner, General Williams (an early settler), who was a Welshman. In addition to the impressive flora, look out for the world's largest pillar (the joining of a stalactite and stalagmite) and the gazebo, which looks out to the Atlantic Ocean.
Initial construction began in 1818, with
additional rooms being added over the next 50 years, eventually growing to
be regarded as the most impressive mansion in Barbados. Owned by Sir
Graham Briggs in 1861, a wealthy British planter and legislator, he not
only improved the house, but also the gardens, importing many new plants
and trees into the island for the entertainment of his guest Prince
Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh, when the latter visited Barbados in 1861. Other
Royal visitors including Princes Albert, Victor and George, later King
George V of England, were entertained there when they visited the island
The repository of the island’s history, the Barbados Museum houses an excellent collection of furniture, glassware, birds, fish, books and other records of the island.
The Museum is located at the Garrison in the old military detention barracks, erected in 1853. It is maintained by the Barbados Museum and Historical Society established by an Act of Parliament in 1933.